- 1 Peter 2:25 – For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
- Bishop/Overseer – A superintendent; an officer having superintendence of a household, like Joseph who was made overseer of Pharaoh’s household business. One who overlooks, inspects, watches-out-for.
- Soul – Your mind, will, and emotions. The middle of the 3 parts that make up a human being; body, soul, and spirit. Often referred to as the “heart” in the bible. The spirit of a believer is perfect because our spirit is the Holy Spirit. The body will not be redeemed, but is fatally corrupt, and must simply be ruled-over until we receive a glorified body at Christ’s return (1 Cor 15:50-54). Therefore the soul is the real battleground of redemption. It must be trained (discipled) so that the whole person is led by the spirit instead of the carnal soul or the fleshly (bodily) lusts; and unlike the body, the carnal soul will not be exchanged for a new one in the millennium; we are called to work out the salvation of our souls (1 Peter 1:9) in this age…the church age.
- Jesus is the Good Shepherd, and a good shepherd leads, cares for, provides for, and protects his sheep. As the Bishop/Overseer of your soul, He shepherds from the deepest place inside of you, out through your soul, and finally through your body. Jesus has given us everything we need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3), and if we will learn obedience through submitting to His leadership over our soul, then we will experience the righteousness, peace, and joy (Romans 14:17) of the manifestation of the kingdom of God in our inner-man, and this kingdom will flow-out from within us like a river of living water.
- Does your mind seem to have a mind-of-its-own sometimes? Do your emotions erupt like an overdue volcano? Does your will get hardened like iron? The kingdom of God is within you, and the King of the kingdom will lovingly and wisely lead you into paths of righteousness if you will just turn to Him and listen to His still, small voice saying “deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Me” into giving your life away so that you can find real life. But the lusts of our body and soul are not gentle and kind, and they yell and scream. Therefore you must tune them out in order to tune Him in.
- As you go about life, listening to the Bishop/Overseer of your soul, then you will be manifesting the kingdom of God from the inside out. You will find life, in giving yours away. There’s no need to start a ministry, build a church, or attempt to “do something for God”. But simply follow His voice each day as you go about your normal daily business, and you’ll find yourself building His kingdom in some way, as it simply flows out through you. A pattern will develop in the type of help you provide to others, and in this you will discover your assignment in the kingdom and you’ll marvel at seeing your role in the Master’s master-plan of the ages.